Major Whistleblowers Honored
- James Holzrichter and Dr. Janet Chandler, named “whistleblowers of the year” by Taxpayers against Fraud (TAF), announced innovative mentoring programs. Mr. Holzrichter received the “Profile in courage” award, in recognition of his contributions and devotion, and his 17 year legal fight against corrupt defense contracting.
- Famed TAF attorney of the year Mike Behn gave a keynote address describing his national fight against defense and pharmaceutical fraud. General Charles Henry, retired high-ranking pentagon procurement officer, introduced Mr. Behn.
- Dr. Janet Chandler, a Supreme Court victor, was represented by Senator Barack Obama before he entered the presidential race. All presidential candidates were urged to follow the historic tradition of Lincoln, and to pledge to protect truth-tellers.
- Religious leaders, including Rev. Walter E. Fauntroy, stressed the role of speaking the truth and the role of faith based initiatives in America’s civil rights heritage, invoking the legacy of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Physicians Dr. Patrick Campbell, and Dr. Lokesh B. Vuyyuru urged protection from unscrupulous HMOs like Tenet and HCA who put profit before patients. Dr. Campbell revealed that Tenet performed thousands of unneeded heart surgeries in Redding California to bilk the federal government of tens of millions of dollars.
- Chief Deputy Marshal Matthew Fogg (INA) and President of CARCLE, announced: “We must be united as never before. Whistleblower unity is the key to our success with Congress, with the media, and the public.”
- John Schilling, a co-winner in the largest fraud case in US history, the $1.7 Billion dollar Health Corporation of America (HCA) case, introduced his new book. Mr. Schilling was joined by many of the other most successful winners in urging an end to fraud against patients.
- Mr. Tom Devine, legal director of the Government Accountability Project, held an in depth Congressional legal briefing, and together with top public interest groups, gave special awards to Congressional leaders and staffers who oppose fraud and support whistleblowers.